Serving the Community
$5,000 Meredith Fellows Future Teacher Scholarship
Our Mission Statement
“Assistance League of North Coast is dedicated to serving the needs, primarily of children, in the communities of Carlsbad, Oceanside and Vista, with the goal of providing a positive starting point for academic success.”
Everyone receives special gifts and talents, but Meredith was especially blessed. She made life-long friends with ease. She could engage a stranger in an elevator and find out all about their life and family before the door opened! She shared her time and thoughtfulness with everyone. She was an excellent tipper and a tireless worker, a devoted daughter and a marvelous sister.
Meredith spent decades making education better. She taught elementary students in classrooms from sunny California to wintery Kansas to tropical Pohnpei, Micronesia. She developed curricula for entire school districts and taught teachers how to involve each individual student. She wrote booklets that gave teachers sponge activities, so those last ten minutes of class didn’t go to waste. She had a knack for finding and supporting raw teaching talent. On several occasions she actually encouraged young people to leave their current occupation and discover their passion for teaching. Even after she officially retired, she continued doing the job she loved without pay, helping beginning teachers obtain their California teaching credentials.
“Meredith refused to be deterred. She lived as though cancer had no effect on her life. Few people realized she battled several varieties of the disease for decades. She travelled widely and with enthusiasm. She had a wonderful sense of humor and laughed long and hard. We miss her every single day.”
-Susan Maxwell, Meredith’s sister
”Meredith absolutely LOVED helping people become teachers. It was her passion. She did everything that she could think of to make sure that person would be a successful elementary classroom teacher. She spent countless hours with student teachers both in and out of their classroom. She enjoyed developing new programs on line that teachers could refer to for ideas, help, and information. She was a natural teacher and her greatest wish was that she could financially help the wonderful people she met to further their dreams of becoming a teacher.”
-Ron and Cyndi Plummer
Our goal for 2023-2024 is to award scholarships to graduating seniors in our service area consistent with the Mission of the Assistance League® of North Coast
One Scholarship will be awarded to a Carlsbad High School, El Camino High School, General Raymond Murray High School, Mission Vista High School, New Haven School, North County Trade Tech High School, Oceanside High School, Rancho Buena Vista High School, Sage Creek High School and Vista High School.
• Plan to attend a college or university to prepare for a career as a teacher
• Earn a minimum of a 3.5 GPA
• Criteria for selection is based on a commitment to a career as a teacher, community and school service, financial need, and academic performance
• Family members and relatives of Assistance League members are not eligible
1. Complete all sections of the application form. (Personal, School, Community Information and the Essay)
2. Submit a school transcript. (A transcript may be attached to the online application or emailed to email@example.com.)
3. Attach two letters of recommendation written within the last year from a school official, teacher, employer or someone who has known you in the community (other than a family member) for at least one year. (Letters of Recommendation may be attached to the online application or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
4. A COMPLETE Application must be submitted no later than APRIL 19, 2024.
Scholarship Applications are available below with the online form.
(This form has a Save and Continue option at the bottom of the form. If you are unable to complete the form you can save your work and complete at a later time.)
Complete Applications must be submitted on or before April 19, 2024.
The Scholarship Committee will screen and evaluate all applications. Final candidates will be interviewed by Scholarship Committee Members. All applicants will be notified by the Scholarship Committee after the final selections.
Applications will be available January 1, 2024